Thursday, March 25, 2010

Some Words on MLS, Season Opener Tonight


I don't believe I've ever mentioned MLS on this blog in it's brief existence. There's tuns to say about it and with the beginning of another season, it is definitely appropriate that I share some thoughts.

First off:
Philadelphia Union @ Seattle Sounders FC: 9:30 PM EST Live on ESPN2 and ESPN360


MLS is like local music. It's good, but not great. There's shitty bands and then there's good bands. Why do I waste time to dedicate time to an inferior league when I can just talk about Serie A? Because it has great potential. Because, quite frankly, I'm American and this is my league. Not only that, but I'm from Philadelphia and so with the induction of MLS' newest franchise being placed in my hometown, I definitely have legitimate interest.

Perhaps the main reason why MLS matters so much to me is that because the success of the US national team depends so much on the league's success. No doubt that as the popularity of the sport has risen, so has the league, and so has the quality of American players. My love and much of the love of soccer rises out of the World Cup and the success of the US every four years is massively important.

So give the league a chance. I admit that I watch maybe a total of 300 minutes of MLS each season (excluding All-Star and Finals). However, with each season the quality rises and with the inclusion of Philly, I think I'll be shifting more attention to the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment