Tuesday, August 31, 2010

La Prima Giornata: Review

Match of the Week:
Napoli @ Fiorentina 1-1: Cavani 7 (N), D'Agostino 49 (F)

Obviously a shame that Fiorentina had that call go against them. I'd like to wonder why they allow goalline referees in the Champions League but not Serie A. Anyway, it was a satisfactory result for both teams. Cavani gets credit for a goal which is espcially important considering how quickly Quagliarella simply up and left for Juve. Similar situation for Fiorentina as their new signing also scored and will hopefully fill the hole that Jovetic's injury left.
(My Prediction: 1-2 Fiorentina)

Standings...

Genoa @ Udinese 1-0: Mesto 81 (G)

(My Prediction: 0-1 Udinese)

Cesena @ Roma 0-0

Its another slow start for Roma. While Cesena are due credit, its early results like these, where the team is apparently unmotivated, that have kept Roma from possibly two Scudetti over the past three years.
(My Prediction: 0-0)

Juventus @ Bari 0-1: Donati 43 (B)

This is probably the most surprising result of the week, tied with Inter's, maybe. You would think after all the reworking Juve did over the summer that they could at least score a goal? Credit to Bari though, as they performed just like last year as well. At home, they're a force to be reckoned with and it looks like things will stay the same for 2010/11.
(My Prediction: 2-2)

Catania @ Chievo 1-2: Moscardelli 14 (Ch), Ricchiuti 22 (Ca), Pellissier pen 83 (Ch)

Maybe this season I'll lighten the criticism of Chievo as whenever I call them out in my predictions, they seem to show me up. A strong, late win is a great way to start the season and considering their top striker, Sergio Pellissier, got on the scoresheet, maybe they'll be aiming for top half of the table.
(My Prediction: 2-1 Catania)

Lecce @ Milan 0-4: Pato 15, 28 (M), Thiago Silva 23 (M), Inzaghi 90 (M)

Milan's first half display was quite possibly the best 45 minutes of soccer that I have ever seen them play in my short 4-year history. As a Milan fan, I was hyped up going into the game from a number of things: a) the signing of Zlatan, b) having visited the San Siro this summer, I could only imagine the atmosphere of what its like on opening night, c) this was already a good team before, now every seriously contenders. While Lecce's defense did well at the start, Milan's attack was simply Barcelona-esq. I can only hope Milan keep it up, especially after picking up Robinho today.
(My Prediction: 1-3 Milan)

Brescia @ Parma 0-2: Bojinov 10 (P), Morrone 45 (P)

All the credit for Parma's victory seems to be going in the way of the Atomic Ant, Sebastian Giovinco. Having finally parted from Juventus, he came to play and had a hand in both goals. Brescia simply seemed overwhelmed, but having been promoted, they get a free pass.
(My Prediction: 0-3 Parma)

Lazio @ Sampdoria 0-2: Cassano pen 60 (S), Guberti 73 (S)

Nice reaction from Sampdoria after getting bounced from the Champions League. I wasn't sure whether to expect this or the kind of hangover they went through during last winter where they couldn't win a game for shit. Lazio, who knows. Still plenty of work to for both Roman clubs as it turns out.
(My Prediction: 1-1)

Cagliari @ Palermo 0-0

A bit of a disappointing result for two of last year's more exciting clubs, especially considering Palermo usually show up when playing at home.
(My Prediction: 1-2 Palermo)

Inter @ Bologna 0-0

As I mentioned before, this was the joint-most surprising result of the week. Maybe you could've seen this coming after Inter's loss in the UEFA Super Cup but against Bologna, who have already fired their coach? AND they had watched Milan send a big message to the league the night before. Obviously the season has barely begun, but against clubs like Bologna, these points could be precious in time.
(My Prediction: 4-0 Inter)

No comments:

Post a Comment